The results of a year-long investigation by the Environment Select Committee into New Zealand’s food waste problem will soon be before Parliament. In the meantime , individuals are taking matters into their own hands. “It’s a very privileged position to be in, when you can afford to not eat everything,” food systems expert Emily King says. In King’s Waiheke Island backyard chickens roam near the vege garden. Peek into her cupboards and rather than a hodge-podge of food packaging, clear jars with dry stocks are front, centre, and labelled. The director of Spira helps businesses and organisations better understand their food systems to avoid waste, and King was named a global food leader by Food Tank in 2017. READ MORE : Auckland’s food waste collection service delayed by a year A blueprint for solving New Zealand’s waste problem SUPPLIED Amy Keller, of PurePlus+ on fixing food waste. The former environmental lawyer practises what she preaches. Her home is a zero food waste zone. King meal plans for the week so her family doesn’t need to buy more than they need to. Her jarred dry foods ensure she knows the inventory of her kitchen, so there’s no doubling up, and she… Read full this story
- People travel New Zealand's roads in search of roadkill. Why?
- New Zealand releases jobs budget to get economy moving again
- Billion dollar cash jump indicates stockpiling by nervous households
- New Zealand spending halves during lockdown
- Google, Facebook pay way less tax in New Zealand than in Australia
- A brief history of economic self-suffiency in New Zealand
- New Zealand's major events industry is in strife, and feeling forgotten
- New Zealanders want payments from Government
- 'I Was Saved From Homelessness by Strangers During the COVID-19 Pandemic'
- Millennials rejoice! Laser-based ripeness test ensures PERFECT avocados while reducing waste by up to 10 per cent
The trouble with waste: How New Zealanders can save a billion dollars by not chucking their food have 300 words, post on www.stuff.co.nz at November 23, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.