Other teams drawn for Group B are Brunei, Indonesia, Laos and Singapore, according to the draw held in the Philippines’ capital Manila.
Group A has host Philippines, Timor Leste, Myanmar, Malaysia, and Cambodia.
Thailand were crowned champions in men’s football at the previous SEA Games in 2017. Host Malaysia snatched the silver and the bronze went to Indonesia.
The men’s football competition at this year’s SEA Games, or SEA Games 30, will take place from November 25 to December 10.
The teams in each group will play one another in a round robin format before four teams with the highest points go to the semi-finals on December 7.
The final and the match to decide who will get the bronze have been slated for December 10.
As regulated at SEA Games 2019, men’s football teams are allowed to use two players born before January 1, 1997. The rules have been adjusted compared to two years ago when only U22 players were allowed.
Vietnam, whose highest achievement ever at the tournament was bronze medal, aim to win gold this year.
- Vietnam file complaint about lowly SEA Games ranking
- Vietnam to face challenging group stage at SEA Games
- Vietnam among fourth seeds ahead of SEA Games 2019
- Vietnam confident to beat Brunei in SE Asian Games men’s soccer
- Vietnam may no longer be the top seed at SEA Games 2011
- Easy draw for Vietnam in SEA Games group stages
- Vietnam women team share point with Myanmar at SEA Games
- Vietnam men football team on top, women team stun Malaysia 8-0
- Vietnam tie Thailand 1-1 in opener at SEA Games
- Vietnam enter 2018 AFF Cup finals