With Brexit still unresolved, and smaller parties hoping to break through, pollsters and pundits have warned that this general election is the most unpredictable in decades. Here are five factors that could make the difference: 1) Is it all about Brexit? Labour has settled its Brexit policy, and will hope to stand out as the one party offering to “let the people decide” by offering a referendum within six months of taking office. But Jeremy Corbyn knows that will not be enough for many ardent remainers in his own party, and among its voters, who believe, as his deputy Tom Watson put it in a speech earlier this year, “our members are remain, our values are remain, our hearts are remain”. If remain voters feel more motivated by stopping Brexit than any other issue, they may feel tempted to opt for Jo Swinson’s “bollocks to Brexit” Liberal Democrats. Corbyn will therefore hope to recast the campaign away from Brexit, towards Labour’s “transformative” domestic agenda, including wholesale renationalisation, radical labour market reforms and a dramatic increase in public investment. 2) Is the big squeeze on, or can smaller parties flourish? In 2017, the Lib Dems had hoped to rally disgruntled remainers… Read full this story
- Majority wants “early election,” but after March municipals
- Malaysia Election: Voter turnout at more than 70 per cent as polls close in tight race
- Malaysia general elections a lesson for Maldives: ex-pres Waheed
- “How could they all be so wrong?”: Reflections on the 2017 General Election
- UK PM Theresa May Faces Local Election Losses as Key Brexit Tests Near
- Final sprint to June primary election begins as mail-in ballots go out to California voters
- Election 2018: Anne Arundel County Executive's race between Pittman and Schuh
- It wasn't the 'Mahathir Factor' afterall, says survey
- What to expect from Iraq's election?
- Pakistan may see engineered elections in the wake of agitation movements
Five factors that could decide the general election have 303 words, post on www.theguardian.com at October 30, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.