Doctors in Alberta’s south zone are seeing more cases than usual of pertussis — more often known as whooping cough — this year, according to health officials.So far in 2019, 38 cases have been confirmed in the region and with 11 new cases confirmed in Lethbridge, the County of Lethbridge and Raymond this week, Alberta Health Services (AHS) is reminding residents of the importance of immunization in hopes of avoiding an outbreak.“This is a higher incident rate than we usually see,” said medical officer of health Dr. Vivien Suttorp.“At this point, we don’t have a community outbreak yet. But, whooping cough is a common disease that we see in outbreaks.” Tweet This Story continues below advertisement The AHS annual report states that from Apr. 1, 2017, to Mar. 31, 2018, 70 per cent of children up to two years old received immunizations for diseases including whooping cough in the south zone.Suttorp said overall, that number isn’t particularly low compared to the provincial average, but added the south zone is also home to small pockets of non-immunized populations.“Our overall immunization rates in children aren’t that much different than other zones,” she said.“However, we have differences between communities and between schools. That’s… Read full this story
- Gameday Guide: South Carolina vs. Coastal Carolina TV info, depth chart, more
- For Bulldogs, quarterbacks extending drives top things to watch at New Mexico
- ‘It was strange:’ Inside MU’s weird, wet and costly third quarter against South Carolina
- The Latest: North Carolina governor visits hard-hit New Bern
- South Carolina basketball vs. Augusta: 10 things to watch for in Firday’s exhibition
- Stephen Davis Jr leaves South Carolina football team, again
- Suspect in South St. Paul police shootings was being evicted
- Luis Severino Stifles Red Sox and Makes His Wild-Card Case
- Why does Mizzou tight end and Blue Springs South grad Kendall Blanton love to block?
- South Korea vs Germany: Live blog, text commentary, line-ups, stream & TV channel
11 new cases of whooping cough confirmed in south zone: Alberta Health Services have 316 words, post on globalnews.ca at October 9, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.