Twitter targeted Saudi and Chinese propaganda machinery today as it shut down thousands of fake news accounts worldwide. The crackdown affected pro-Saudi accounts coming from Egypt and the United Arab Emirates directed at Qatar and Yemen in a regional misinformation war, Twitter said. In addition, accounts from China seeking to divide the Hong Kong protest movement were closed down by the tech giant. Additional phoney accounts were suspended in Spain and Ecuador, Twitter’s safety team said. Twitter blocked thousands of accounts controlled by state actors seeking to manipulate public opinion in its latest effort to curb misinformation The move is the latest in a series of actions by social media giants such as Facebook and Twitter cracking down on manipulation, often by state-controlled entities disguising their identities. It follows similar moves by Facebook last month removing fake accounts based in Egypt, Saudi Arabia and the UAE for posting misinformation about Middle East hotspots and others involved in ‘coordinated inauthentic behavior’ focused on Hong Kong. Twitter removed 273 accounts working in concert in ‘a multi-faceted information operation’ to target Saudi rivals Qatar and Iran among other countries, as well as amplify pro-Saudi government messaging. RELATED ARTICLES Previous 1 Next Mark Zuckerberg… Read full this story
- Hitting two birds with a stone: China develops fake news factories to fill information vacuum, curb criticism
- Macedonia’s Pro-Trump Fake News Industry Had American Links, And Is Under Investigation For Possible Russia Ties
- Twitter’s misinformation problem will never disappear as long as bots exist
- VIETNAM NEWS DECEMBER 22
- Almost ‘HALF of all posts spreading coronavirus conspiracies and calling for lockdowns to end come from bot account’
- 'Hysterical' Health Secretary warns 'hundreds of thousands' of lives are at risk if we don't follow new rules - despite more evidence second wave is slowing as daily cases increase by just 4pc in a week to 6,914
- Trump administration 'is considering granting Saudi Crown Prince Salman immunity in lawsuit that accused him of sending a squad of hit men to Canada to assassinate rival's top aide'
- Toy stores urge government to 'save Christmas' and ease chaos at UK ports as they reveal thousands of gifts including dolls, Lego and puzzles won't arrive by December 25 and say delays have cost them millions
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES DECEMBER 18
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS HEADLINES DECEMBER 20
Twitter targets Saudi and Chinese propaganda machines as it closes down thousands of fake news accounts worldwide in an effort to halt state-run manipulation have 375 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at September 20, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.