Indonesia is poised to pass a new law that would criminalise sex outside of marriage, abortion, and insults on the president’s dignity – a move rights groups have criticised as an assault on basic freedoms. The new penal code, that would see those who engage in extramarital sex face punishment of up to one year in jail, comes amidst a recent trend towards deeper religious piety and conservative Islamic activism in the world’s most populous Muslim majority country. Human rights groups have called for the Indonesian parliament to revise the changes, which they say will violate the rights of women, religious minorities, and the LGBTQ community, and freedom of speech. An Indonesian woman is whipped in public in in Aceh – the only province in Indonesia that has implemented Sharia law. However, such punishments could be more widespread if the new penal code is passed as it would give local authorities greater power to punish breaches of customary and Islamic laws. Indonesian Muslims perform a mass prayer in Palembang, Indonesia on September 18, 2019. The south-east Asian nation is the world’s most populous Muslim majority nation RELATED ARTICLES Previous 1 Next Indonesia raises minimum age of marrying from 16 to 19… Read full this story
- For These Muslims, Learning the Quran Starts With YouTube
- Marriage equality is here, there and everywhere
- Indonesia’s leader says Jakarta needs giant sea wall
- Army Veterans Who Protested for Better Benefits from China's Communist Party Jailed
- Nation briefs for May 25
- 35 Employees Committed Suicide. Will Their Bosses Go to Jail?
- United Nations to offer first report on global biodiversity
- Iceland is preparing for a world with less ice
- Hong Kong Protest Draws More Than One Million, Organizers Say
- Indonesia's Widodo set for 2nd term as president
Millions face being jailed for having SEX outside of marriage in Indonesia as world's biggest Muslim nation pushes conservative Islam have 280 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at September 18, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.