Indonesia’s parliament has revised the country’s marriage law to lift the minimum age at which women can marry by three years to 19. (Photo: AFP/VNA) Jakarta (VNA) – Indonesia’s parliament has revised the country’s marriage law to lift the minimum age at which women can marry by three years to 19, a move welcomed by campaigners as a step towards curbing child marriage in the world’s biggest Muslim-majority country. All factions in parliament agreed upon the revision at a plenary session on September 16. Indonesia is among the 10 countries in the world with the highest number of child brides, according to campaign group Girls Not Brides. Meanwhile, a report by Indonesia’s Statistics Agency and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) showed that one in four girls in the country is married before they turn 18. Indonesia previously allowed girls of 16 to get married or younger, with no minimum age, if their parents requested it. Indonesia’s Constitutional Court ruled in December 2018 that it was discriminatory to have a lower marriage age for women than for men, who could legally marry at 19. Child marriage in Indonesia has been blamed for causing maternal and infant deaths, as well as… Read full this story
- Walmart raises minimum age for buying guns to 21
- Indonesia vows to press ahead with executions of drug smugglers
- Why do so many girls still face FGM?
- Who were the eight people executed by Indonesia?
- Mel B thanks her mother for 'giving her the bus fare to get to THAT Spice Girls audition' as she shares sweet throwback photo of them after they healed rift
- Spice Girls announce six more 2019 tour dates to meet fans' phenomenal demand... but four of them are already SOLD OUT
- Indonesia locks out legion of former ISIS fighters
- Diplomatic efforts intensify as execution of nine people looms in Indonesia
- The worrying virus hotbed on our doorstep? Disturbing footage shows snakes, bats and possums sold openly at an Indonesia market
- Britain's 'strictest headmaster' who sent creepy messages to girl pupils at £37,000-a-year boarding school is removed from duties while he is investigated
Indonesia raises minimum age for girls to marry have 343 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at September 17, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.