Besides inland waterway tourism or eco-tourism, Vietnam and HCM City, in particular, has huge potential for medical tourism. The number of international tourists that went to Vietnam for treatment increases year on year. In 2017, Vietnam attracted around 80,000 foreign tourists who came for health checks and treatment and spent USD2bn. In 2018, 300,000 foreigners went to Vietnam for treatment, of which 40% were in HCM City.
At the conference about medical tourism potential in HCM City that was held on September 4 by the Department of Tourism and Department of Health, many services and products have been introduced such as the use of traditional herbal medicine in cosmetic purposes and dental service package for tourists.
Infertility treatment and in vitro fertilization are considered cheaper than the prices in other regional countries at VND60m (USD2,600) to VND100m.
According to Saigontourist, Vietnam is still unable to fully exploit its medical potential and lacks many services. This is the best time to develop resort travel – healthcare – therapy model. Saigontourist has collaborated with Vietnam Dental Tourism Company to launch two dental packages for foreigners in the past two years.
The medical centres must also improve their services in order to attract visitors. According to the Department of Tourism, only 100,000 foreign patients come to Vietnam every year for dental services, spending about VND3.5trn (USD151m). This figure is still too small compared to the overall 13 million international visitors that arrive in Vietnam every year or to the huge dental tourism sectors in other countries like Thailand or Malaysia.
- Agriculture tourism in HCM City needs boost
- HCM City boosts cooperation with Saint Petersburg
- HCM City welcomes more than 2.6 million foreign visitors over 4 months
- More than 2.6mil foreigners visit HCM City over 4 months
- International Travel Expo gives a major boost to tourism
- HCM City sets up partnership with Australia’s New South Wales
- Hungary’s national holiday marked in HCM City
- Sales at HCM City tourism festival exceed VND83 billion
- HCM City Party Secretary receives Saint Petersburg officials
- HCM City, Shanghai look to further cooperation