Jeremy Corbyn denied voters the chance to decide the future of Brexit last night after ordering his MPs to block Boris Johnson’s call for a snap election.A visibly frustrated PM ridiculed the stance taken by Corbyn – who did not even bother to be present for the declaration of the result – taunting that he was the first Opposition leader ‘in history’ to turn down the opportunity of a poll.But crucially, Mr Johnson did not give a clear indication of how he might now try to extricate himself from the impasse – merely hinting that he might try staging another vote in the coming days. That move appeared more likely in the early hours of today after the House of Lords reached an unexpected agreement to allow the rebel No Deal bill to pass by tomorrow evening. That potential lifeline would remove a key obstacle to Labour supporting a new bid to send Britain to the polls. Without it, Mr Johnson appeared to have few other cards left to play.Yesterday’s vote leaves the Prime Minister in potential purgatory with just a few days to find a solution before Parliament is suspended next week.Last night aides were frantically casting round for an alternative… Read full this story
- All Blacked-out! Inspiring stories of Bledisloe Cup glory and defeat
- My very Downton childhood: A silver staircase, 109 rooms, and servants tending to every whim - just what was like to grow up in the stately home that's the backdrop for Julian Fellowes' new drama?
- MMQB: On Randy Moss, equality and commencement speeches
- Six years later, Penn State is still at war over the Sandusky scandal
- A coach in decline: Chuck Noll’s trademark traits faded as Alzheimer’s signs worsened
- Hoop Thoughts: Collins has Northwestern on the cusp of the NCAAs
- New England Patriots: Ranking the Patriots Super Bowls
Boris Johnson's bid for snap election is CRUSHED: Corbyn chickens out of letting public go to the polls as MPs inflict humiliating defeat on PM hours after passing law to stop No Deal have 303 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at September 4, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.