Some 2,500 people are unaccounted for in the Bahamas following Hurricane Dorian, the Bahamian National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) said Wednesday.
NEMA spokesman Carl Smith told reporters that some of the missing people may eventually be located.
“At this point, there are approximately 2,500 individuals registered on the Bahamian government register (of missing people),” Smith said.
“This list has not yet been checked against government records of who is staying in shelters or who has been evacuated,” he said.
At least 50 people died in the hurricane, which slammed into the northern Bahamas as a Category 5 storm, and officials have said they expect the number to rise significantly.
The NEMA spokesman said more than 5,500 people have been evacuated so far from the northern Bahamas islands of Grand Bahama and Abaco, which were devastated by the storm.
He said that over the past day or so there had been a “significant reduction,” however, in the numbers of people seeking to leave.
Smith also said that permission was being given to resume commercial flights to Abaco on a “limited basis” but priority would be given to relief and evacuation flights.
- Body found in search of hurricane-stricken town – official
- US officials prepare for flooding as hurricane hits Hawaii
- Britain's foreign aid budget will be used to help hurricane hit overseas territories, Penny Mordaunt says
- In hurricane-hit Mexico Beach, a marathon clean-up begins
- Zenit St Petersburg ‘absolutely condemn’ striker Alexander Kokorin for hitting government official with a chair
- Zenit St Petersburg condemn star striker for hitting government official with a chair
- After a Caribbean Hurricane, the Battle Is Where, or Even Whether, to Rebuild
- Hurricane Lane batters Hawaii but worst still to come as islands flooded
- First picture of girl, 11, killed during powerful Hurricane Michael
- Hurricane Michael death toll hits 17 as rescuers search for survivors