A series of mini-nuclear reactors could be built across the North in a major power scheme. Plants could generate energy in Yorkshire, Cumbria, Lancashire and Cheshire under a project spearheaded by Rolls-Royce for "small modular reactors". The Government is pumping in £18million so the firm can develop the design of the reactors. Prime Minister Boris Johnson is expected to formally announce the plan in September and the first plant could be up and running within the next 15 years. "These new mini nuclear reactors would be concentrated across the North — and plans are in motion to place them in the Sheffield city region, Cumbria, Lancashire and Cheshire," a Government source told the Times. "Nuclear is clean and a way of reducing the UK's carbon footprint on a large scale." The reactors would trigger a jobs bonanza, with 40,000 posts expected to be created. Activists argue that it would be better in the long run to invest in renewables Each power station could generate enough energy to fuel 750,000 homes, according to estimates by the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy. Northern Powerhouse Partnership director Henri Murison said: "There is market ready technology available globally which can be put… Read full this story
- UK should support mini nuclear reactor projects, says official review
- African Energy Chamber: African Lives Matter, Too. Energy Policy Decisions Should Consider Their Needs
- Nuclear energy inquiry: is Angus Taylor's move logical or just for the backbench?
- Sizewell C: government reignites £20bn nuclear power station row
- UK nuclear spacecraft could halve time of journey to Mars
- Don't Expect Iran to Renegotiate the Nuclear Deal in Good Faith | Opinion
- Boost in US Gas Output Led to Vast Reduction of Emissions - OECD Nuclear Agency
- Kim Jong-un warns Joe Biden the US is North Korea’s ‘principal enemy’ as he vows to build the ‘most powerful military’’
- Rolls-Royce and UK Space Agency team up to develop nuclear-powered spacecraft engine that could get us to Mars in just three months
- UN Nuclear Weapons Ban Begins, Nobel Winner Asks Biden to Abandon Them
Tories plan mini-nuclear reactors for the North in major change to energy policy have 341 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at August 12, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.