SINGAPORE: The Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) has confirmed it intends to contest five constituencies at the next General Election – the same electoral divisions it contested in 2015.The opposition party plans to field candidates for two Group Representation Constituencies (GRCs) – Holland-Bukit Timah and Marsiling-Yew Tee – and the single-seat wards of Bukit Batok, Yuhua and Bukit Panjang, it said on Friday (Aug 2).SDP is the first to announce which constituencies it intends to contest at the next General Election, which must be held by April 2021.Trade and Industry Minister Chan Chun Sing said in Parliament last month that the committee that reviews electoral division boundaries has not yet been formed.In GE2015, SDP fielded 11 candidates and secured 31.23 per cent of valid votes in the wards it contested, but failed to gain a seat.As the party ramps up its ground campaign for the elections, it will conduct a walkabout at the five constituencies on Sunday, led by secretary-general Chee Soon Juan and chairman Paul Tambyah.More than 80 members and volunteers will accompany the party’s leaders at the walkabout, SDP said.SDP’s ground campaign for the elections will focus on its plans to tackle Singapore’s costs of living, Dr Chee and… Read full this story
- Grand Alliance constituents set to contest Bihar assembly election on common agenda
- AAP, splinter Akali group uncertain over contesting Mohali MC elections
- Jamaica's Ruling Party Claims Landslide Victory in Thursday’s General Election
- Now it's VOTE Black Lives Matter: A new political party backed by Million People March leader plans to contest seats at the next General Election
- Andrew Sparrow's election briefing: a change of plan for Labour?
- Andrew Sparrow's election briefing: Boris Johnson's worst campaign error so far
- Andrew Sparrow's election briefing: Trump visit ends without jeopardy for Johnson
- What next for Caroline Lucas and the Green party after election success?
- Election briefing: Lib Dems promise 'remain bonus' after Johnson's tax slip
- Ivey sets special election for Alabama House seat
SDP to contest five constituencies at next General Election have 319 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at August 2, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.