SINGAPORE: When Ms Vanessa Chea sat for an exam in Temasek Polytechnic where she studied till a year ago, a lecturer asked if she needed extra time to complete the paper. It was tempting for her to grab the advantage, but Ms Chea who is hard of hearing , declined. "I just see myself like anybody else,” she told CNA. Her hearing difficulties do not affect her ability to think, something she feels not everyone knows. "I noticed that people tend to associate hearing loss with intellectual disability," she said. People also tend to think they needed to shout if someone cannot hear well, but this just hampers her ability to lip-read, she said. While she has mastered lip-reading, she said: “When you shout, the lip shape is very different from what you are saying, and that makes reading very difficult.” Even if they do not have such misconceptions, they may not empathise with her condition. Ms Chea recalled having a lecturer who refused to use a device that would help her hear better in class. "She found that it is not a good thing for me to depend too much on technology," she said. Ms Chea ended up not being able to follow… Read full this story
- Friends and family of Juice Wrld pay tribute to the rapper at a private funeral for the 21-year-old while fans hold their own 'Celebration of Life' in downtown Chicago
- Unnao horror repeats, 18-year-old girl raped, set ablaze in UP's Fatehpur district
- The 13-year-old suspect in the fatal stabbing of Barnard student Tessa Majors will appear in court Tuesday
- Larry King, 85, files for divorce from his SEVENTH wife Shawn King, 59, after 22 years, as it's rumored their 'sons have pleaded with TV icon to end marriage over money battle and infidelity'
- Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid give dolls house to five-year-old Meningitis survivor Harmonie Rose as she comes onto GMB to show-off her new 'wonder blades' after losing all four limbs
- 'I became their adult': Selfless 21-year-old waitress and college student details how she stepped up to care for her five younger siblings when they became orphans three years ago
- 'I love my second mummy so much. I never want daddy back': Transgender father becomes another mother to nine-year-old son (and a lesbian partner to her wife)
- A hacker accessed a family's Ring security camera and told their 8-year-old daughter he was Santa Claus
- 'It was his choice': Parents of five-year-old transgender boy share their son's transition story with the world to inspire other people to embrace their children's true identity
- 'Highly sexual' 32-year-old virgin - who only eats RAW fruit and vegetables - reveals why she is saving herself for marriage, despite having a long-term boyfriend
'I just see myself like anybody else': 22-year-old Vanessa Chea says her hearing loss doesn't make her different have 449 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at August 13, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.