In the wake of two deadly mass shootings in a span of just 24 hours, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer is imploring his Republican colleague, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, to bring lawmakers back to Washington for an emergency session on gun control. Both the House and Senate are currently on their August recess and don’t plan to be back in session until after Labor Day. In a statement released on Sunday, Schumer urged McConnell to call back the Senate and consider a House-passed universal background check law as a first step to addressing the epidemic of mass shootings. “When President Trump spends more time and energy denouncing Rep. Elijah Cummings and Baltimore than he does denouncing right-wing extremists who often traffic in hate and white nationalism, it shows his priorities are un-American and way off balance,” Schumer added, noting Mr. Trump’s penchant for attacking Democrats. McConnell tweeted his own condemnation of the weekend’s mass shootings. “Sickening to learn this morning of another mass murder in Dayton, Ohio overnight,” he wrote Sunday. “Two horrifying acts of violence in less than 24 hours. We stand with law enforcement as they continue working to keep Americans safe and bring justice.” But there… Read full this story
- Schumer compares Mitch McConnell to Herbert Hoover, calls Obamagate a 'discredited conspiracy theory'
- Can the Yang Gang Take Out Mitch McConnell?
- How a Kentucky Farmer Running to Unseat Mitch McConnell Earned Andrew Yang's Endorsement
- Will There Be a Second Stimulus For Americans? Everything Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell Has Said
- Mitch McConnell fractures shoulder after fall in Kentucky home, spokesman says
- House majority leader blasts McConnell for holding Senate sessions, ignoring health experts
- Democrats try to force McConnell's hand on coronavirus aid
- 4 Republican Senators Call for More Stimulus Payments After McConnell Pumps Breaks on Further Relief
- McConnell: ‘Very close’ on rescue package topping $1T
- McConnell open to state aid in next virus relief package
Chuck Schumer calls on Mitch McConnell to hold emergency session on gun control have 312 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at August 4, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.