IMAGE: Matteo Berrettini has now won his 3rd ATP title in 11 months. Photograph: Clive Brunskill/Getty Images Italian Matteo Berrettini claimed his first grasscourt title with a 6-4, 7-6(11) victory over Canadian teenager Felix Auger-Aliassime at the Stuttgart Open final on Sunday. World number 30 Berrettini saved five points in the marathon second set tiebreak and held on to win it 13-11 for his third ATP crown in last 11 months. Berrettini, who defeated home favourite Jan-Lennard Struff in the semi-final, grabbed an early break point in the opening set, as the 18-year-old erred by pushing a backhand approach shot into the net. Auger-Aliassime, who is youngest player in the world’s top 100, was unable to take advantage of one of his five chances in the tiebreak, with Berrettini serving well under pressure before taking control of points on his forehand. Berrettini won all 50 of his service games over the week, claiming more than 89% of his first-serve points in his five matches and becoming the first Italian male grasscourt titlist since Andreas Seppi in Eastbourne in 2011. The 23-year-old had never tasted victory on grass before, with both his previous wins coming on clay courts in Gstaad and… Read full this story
- Johanna Konta wins Viking Open Nottingham title to end 40-year British drought
- Novak Djokovic will give 'more importance' to vaccine stance over winning Australian Open
- Britain’s Andy Murray Wins Thailand Open
- Zverev joins Top 10 of men’s tennis after Rome win
- Bahrain GP: Lewis Hamilton Wins Season-Opening Bahrain Grand Prix | Formula 1 News
- Andy Murray wins epic duel against Frances Tiafoe in European Open first-round tie
- Emma Raducanu explains bizarre quirk in her career record after Transylvania Open win
- Emma Raducanu crashes out of Transylvania Open after straight-sets loss to Marta Kostyuk
- Rafael Nadal injury comeback confirmed putting Australian Open pressure on Novak Djokovic
- Emma Raducanu smells blood at Transylvania Open after being 'absolutely destroyed'
Tennis Round-up: Berrettini wins Stuttgart Open have 305 words, post on www.rediff.com at June 16, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.