President Donald Trump slammed Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell again this week, insisting that Powell's actions have prevented the economy from soaring even higher and declaring he's out of patience with the man he picked to lead the nation's central bank. His comments – during an exclusive interview with ABC News Chief Anchor George Stephanopoulos – were among his strongest yet aimed at the politically independent Federal Reserve. They add weight to concerns that the president could try to oust the head of the Federal Reserve, even if he isn't successful. Powell declined to comment. He has said previously that he wouldn't resign if asked by Trump. Speaking with ABC News Chief Anchor George Stephanopoulos in Council Bluffs, Iowa, on Tuesday, Trump said that the market would be stronger “if we had a different person in the Federal Reserve who wouldn't have raised interest rates so much . . . " Trump's repeated public criticism of the Federal Reserve potentially puts the chairman in an uncomfortable position. If Powell eventually does what Trump wants — even if he makes that decision independently without factoring in the president's opinion – the board could be perceived as biased or politically tainted. At… Read full this story
- Trump Says He May Intervene in Huge Pentagon Contract Sought by Amazon
- Donald Trump says judges have refused to look at the evidence of voter fraud. Is he right?
- Trump says articles of impeachment and USMCA announced on same day because Democrats are "embarrassed"
- Will the Fed raise interest rates? The "Trump Slump" stock market could fall even further
- Fed slashes interest rates to battle coronavirus threat to the US economy
- Elon Musk dons a Bitcoin mining hat, and Fed downplays inflation risk
- Bernanke fights for Fed independence
- 'This Week' Transcript: Donald Trump, Reince Priebus, Denis McDonough, and Sen. Mitch McConnell
- 'This Week' Transcript: Donald Trump, Vice President Joe Biden, and Ret. Gen. John Allen
- 'This Week' Transcript 5-13-18: President Trump's national security adviser John Bolton
EXCLUSIVE: Trump says of Fed Reserve chairman 'I've waited long enough' have 333 words, post on abcnews.go.com at June 14, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.