Life by Press Association May 13, 2019, 7:29 pm Send us a story Sign up to our Daily newsletter A year after 82 women protested en masse on the red carpet, the Cannes Film Festival has defended its record on female film-makers. For the first time, it also divulged data on its selection process. Addressing reporters on the eve of the 72nd Cannes Film Festival, director Thierry Fremaux spoke at length, both touting the festival’s strides in gender parity and bristling at what he described as Cannes being held to an impossible standard. Following pressure by 50/50×2020, the French sister group to Time’s Up, Fremaux last May signed a pledge – with Cate Blanchett, Ava DuVernay and others looking on – promising to make the festival’s selection process more transparent and to push its executive boards towards gender parity. This year, Cannes’s selection committee was 50% female for the first time. The festival said it received 1,845 feature film submissions from 39 countries, 26% were directed by women. Its official selection of 69 films, both features and shorts, included 19 films directed by women, or 27.5%. For the second time in two years, Fremaux held a press conference defending Cannes… Read full this story
- Cannes Film Festival: Penelope Cruz exudes daytime glamour as she joins stunning co-stars Jessica Chastain and Lupita Nyong'o for 355 photocall
- 'Parasite' directed by Bong Joon-ho wins prestigious Palme d'Or at Cannes film festival
- Margot Robbie paid homage to the late Sharon Tate at Cannes Film Festival
- Why were 1,845 Indian films rejected at the Cannes Film Festival this year
- Elisabeth Moss And Randall Park To Be Honored At Hawaii International Film Festival
- Galician film wins top prize in Thessaloniki Film Festival
- ‘The Obituary Of Tunde Johnson’ To Open 26th Annual Austin Film Festival
- Roman Polanski’s Film Premieres at Venice Film Festival to Applause
- Venice film festival slammed for 'toxic masculinity'
- John Woo To Be Honored At Hawaii International Film Festival; ‘Jojo Rabbit’, ‘Just Mercy’ Set For Lineup
Cannes Film Festival director defends record on women have 313 words, post on www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk at May 13, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.