New Delhi (Sputnik): The Indian government, led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, concluded $8.7 billion deal with the French Government in 2016 to purchase 36 Rafale fighter jets under a government-to-government deal. Indian opposition parties have been demanding a probe, as they allege that the price of fighter jets under this deal is inflated and the Indian government had favoured a private company. READ MORE: France Denies Buying Rafale Fighter Jets at a Price Cheaper Than India “Congress will investigate several deals entered into by the BJP Government in the last 5 years and, in particular, the Rafale deal (sic),” the manifesto says as part of the promises made under the anti-corruption plank. Bhalchandra Mungekar, a member of the manifesto committee, further added that the inquiry into the Rafale deal will be initiated on the “first day after coming to power”. © AFP 2021 / Manjunath KIRAN ‘No Amount of Spin Will Help’: Rafale Deal Becoming Modi's Nemesis as Opposition Steps Up Probe Demand Rahul Gandhi has been accusing the Modi government of corruption and irregularities in the Rafale acquisition and alleged that it conducted parallel negotiations and scrapped the earlier deal agreed by the Congress-led UPA government. Currently, a review petition to launch investigation by the anti-corruption body CBI in the deal is pending before the Supreme Court of India. Congress has been demanding a parliamentary probe committee into the… Read full this story
- India’s cancellation of Kashmir’s special status will have consequences
- OPINION How to Improve U.S.-India Economic Relations
- Narendra Modi: India's saviour, or sectarian with blood on his hands?
- India's long wait for justice: 27m court cases trapped in legal logjam
- Ugandan opposition candidate briefly detained as voting delays criticised
- 'But what about the railways ...?' The myth of Britain's gifts to India
- How India’s Kashmir crackdown provoked fear for region’s future
- Why Pakistan and India remain in denial 70 years on from partition
- Millions vote in Pakistan election after Quetta suicide blast
- iPhone can now shoot RAW photos, here’s why it’s a big deal
Rafale Jet Deal Features in Election Manifesto of India's Main Opposition Party have 332 words, post on sputniknews.com at April 2, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.