By FLORIAN EDERwith ZOYA SHEFTALOVICH PRESENTED BY Send tips here | Tweet @florianeder | Listen to Playbook and view in your browser Notre Dame latest: Firefighters managed to bring the fire that engulfed Paris’ iconic Notre Dame cathedral under control at around 3:30 a.m. this morning. A glimmer of hope from the ashes: Mayor of Paris Anne Hidalgo tweeted to thank first responders who formed a “formidable human chain” to rescue some of the most precious relics inside the cathedral. “The crown of thorns, the tunic of Saint Louis and several other major works are now in a safe place,” she said. Alas, the larger paintings and at least some of Notre Dame’s stunning stained glass rose windows appear to have been severely damaged or lost. POLITICO’s Paris correspondent Rym Momtaz brings you up to speed here, and Le Parisien has a live blog with the latest. She will rise again: French President Emmanuel Macron vowed France “will rebuild Notre Dame.” A visibly emotional and solemn Macron also announced a worldwide fundraising campaign would be launched today to help fund the works. First reactions: “Notre-Dame de Paris belongs to all humanity,” European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker said. “What a sad spectacle. What horror. I share the emotion of the French… Read full this story
- Modernists Defeated: French Government Forces Traditional Rebuild of Notre Dame
- Where Notre Dame was & is: Quarterbacks
- Where Notre Dame was & is: Tight Ends
- There Was No Russia Conspiracy. But Trump Is More Dangerous Than Ever.
- Trump at Davos: EU More Difficult to do Business With Than China, UK Will Come Out Great From Brexit Negotiations
- 'Disrespectful and wrong to our PM and my country': Furious Hunt blasts Trump for calling May a 'DISASTER' and the UK ambassador a 'wacky, very stupid guy' in extraordinary attack as fallout from leaked memos sparks full-scale diplomatic row
- Trump Seriously: On the Trail With the GOP’s Tough Guy
- Money Is the Oxygen on Which the Fire of Global Warming Burns
- Hillary Clinton in Full: A Fiery New Documentary, Trump Regrets and Harsh Words for Bernie: "Nobody Likes Him"
- Bernie Sanders' feud with Elizabeth Warren erupts into open warfare with claims he told her in 2018 that a woman COULDN'T win
POLITICO Brussels Playbook, presented by BP: Notre Dame burns — More magic beans for Trump — Slovenia gets out the brickbat have 363 words, post on www.politico.eu at April 15, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.