General Le Duc Anh, former president of Vietnam. Photo: Ngoc Thang
The former president passed away at 8:10 pm at his state-bestowed house in downtown Hanoi after a long time struggling with diseases, the Vietnam News Agency reported.
Time for the funeral would be announced later, according to VNA. His funeral will likely be held with the national mourning etiquette.
Le Duc Anh, who was chief commander of the army and minister of National Defense, assumed the presidency from 1992 to 1997, and contributed greatly to the normalization of the Vietnam-US diplomatic ties in 1995.
He is the last general in the command of the Ho Chi Minh Campaign or the 1975 Spring Offensive, the last campaign in the Vietnam War.
Vietnam is about to commemorate the 44th anniversary of National Reunification Day on April 30.
Le Manh Ha, who was deputy minister, vice head of the Government Office, said that the general was hospitalized over the past few years. He was given healthcare at Central Military Hospital 108 in Hanoi.
- Ryan Thomas reveals his friend Charlie Everton has passed away from cancer in a touching tribute... as celebrity pals pay their respects to the soap star's loved one
- Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella's father, former bureaucrat BN Yugandhar, passes away at 80
- House Oversight Chairman Elijah Cummings passes away at 68
- Actor Viju Khote passes away in Mumbai
- Not One Jot Or Tittle Will Pass Away From the Law Till All Is Fulfilled - Matthew 5:17-18
- Spiritual leader Dada Vaswani passes away at the age of 99
- The Passing Away of a Legend!
- Billionaire Richard Pratt Passed Away
- Cheryl White, the 1st Black Female Jockey, Passes Away at 65
- America's oldest Second World War veteran dies at 112: Hero soldier who fought the Japanese and credited his long life to whiskey and cigars passes away after battle with pneumonia