Will & Deni McIntyreGetty Images A bill in North Carolina’s state legislature would create a statewide bike registry with an annual $10 fee.Revenue would go toward cycling projects, but riders who don’t register would face a $25 fine. Cycling advocates in the state are lobbying against the bill.North Carolina is considering a bill that would create a mandatory statewide bike registry—and punish cyclists who fail to comply. The bill, introduced by state Rep. Jeffrey Elmore, would impose an annual $10 registration fee on each bike that cyclists use on public roads, with the revenue going toward “bicycle safety-related projects.” It also states that cyclists would receive registration plates “suitably sized for a bicycle” and that failure to register a bike would carry a $25 fine. Yet cycling advocates in North Carolina and nationwide have come out against the proposed registry, pointing to the failures of similar programs in cities like Seattle, Toronto, and San Jose. “We appreciate the need to raise revenue in general for transportation, but history has proven that an annual bicycle registration fee is not an effective way to do it,” said Steven Goodridge, a board member of statewide advocacy group BikeWalkNC. Goodridge helped produce a 2016… Read full this story
- The Latest: Dorian churns north along North Carolina coast
- North Carolina Couple Buy Rings, Get Engaged at Walmart Hours after Staging Armed Robbery: Police
- Teens now missing in Canada days after Australian man, North Carolina woman killed along remote highway
- Attack on cyclist caught on camera, police identify suspect from footage
- Hurricane Dorian Live Cams: Watch as Florida Coast, Georgia and South Carolina Prepare for Cat 4 Storm
- Suburbs try Vision Zero to protect walkers and cyclists on roads designed for vehicles
- What they WHEELIE want… The ultimate Christmas gift guide for the cyclist in your life
- How America's Biggest Bike Share Will Turn NYC into a Cycling City
- The little-known road rule that cyclists break every day – and they could face fines of up to $2,600 if caught by police
- Shocking moment a driver slams into a cyclist before running a red light, hitting a pedestrian AND a van - as he 'tests positive to ice'
North Carolina Bill Would Force Cyclists to Register Their Bikes have 350 words, post on www.bicycling.com at March 8, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.