Sections SEARCH Skip to content Skip to site index Asia Pacific Subscribe Log In Log In Today’s Paper Asia Pacific | New Zealand Attacks: Quick Action, Near Miss and Courage in Christchurch Advertisement Supported by ByDamien Cave March 17, 2019 CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand — Abdul Aziz was praying with his four sons in the Linwood Mosque when he heard the gunshots. Rather than run from the noise, he ran toward it, grabbed the first thing he could find — a credit card machine — and flung it at the attacker. The man dropped a shotgun, and Mr. Aziz picked it up. “I pulled the trigger, and there was nothing,” he recalled. The gunman ran to his car, where he had other weapons, and Mr. Aziz followed, throwing the shotgun at the vehicle and shattering a window. Mr. Aziz’s actions, which he and others described in interviews, may have prompted the gunman to speed away rather than return to kill more people. Minutes later, two police officers from another town who were in the area rammed the suspect’s car into a curb and took him into custody, ending the worst mass murder in New Zealand’s modern history. The authorities have not… Read full this story
- The New Zealand Attack Posed New Challenges for Journalists. Here’s How The Times Covered Them.
- Police step up presence near Pa. mosques after New Zealand attacks kill dozens
- New Zealand moves quickly to ban military-style rifles
- 'Muslims Treated Better Than Christians, White People:' Right-Wing Radio Host Warns 'Angry Whites' May Copy New Zealand Attack
- New Zealand attack: Boundless racism, zero remorse
- Why a Jewish community in Pittsburgh is rallying for Muslims after the New Zealand attack
- What Is Jummah? Security Alert At U.S. Mosques on Muslim Day of Worship After New Zealand Attack
- New Zealand Attack Underscores Social Media Sites’ Tolerance of Anti-Muslim Content
- Security boosted for Metro area Muslim community after New Zealand attacks
New Zealand Attacks: Quick Action, Near Miss and Courage in Christchurch have 313 words, post on www.nytimes.com at March 16, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.