STEVE KING, a Republican congressman from Iowa, has a long history of making nativist remarks—though rarely so undeniably as in an interview he gave to the New York Times last week. “White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization—how did that language become offensive?” he blithely asked. By way of an answer, the Republican leadership has been swift to denounce him. “Steve’s remarks are beneath the dignity of the party of Lincoln and the United States of America,” said Kevin McCarthy, the House minority leader. “His comments call into question whether he will treat all Americans equally, without regard for race and ethnicity”. Senator Mitt Romney said Mr King should quit. Mitch McConnell, the Senate majority leader, similarly suggested he “find another line of work”—as did Liz Cheney, the third-highest ranking Republican in the House. Get our daily newsletter Upgrade your inbox and get our Daily Dispatch and Editor’s Picks. The Republican House leadership withdrew Mr King from the three congressional committees he was serving on: Judiciary, Agriculture and Small Business. On January 15th the House passed a “resolution of disapproval” rejecting “white nationalism and white supremacy”. Every Republican voted for it (including Mr King, who said his comment was misinterpreted). Why… Read full this story
- As Republicans Rush to Condemn Steve King, Some Ask: Why Not Trump?
- I don't care that GOP has condemned Steve King
- I don't care that the GOP has condemned Steve King
- Republicans Rebuke Steve King but Face Vexing Question: Why Not Sooner?
- Steve King removed from committee assignments following racist comments
- House Passes Resolution Condemning White Supremacy After Steve King’s Comments
- Steve King’s Comments Prompt House Vote Condemning White Supremacy
- ABC’s Jon Karl Busts Sarah Sanders Hard on Trump’s Failure to Personally Condemn Steve King’s Racist Remarks
- Before Trump, Steve King Set the Agenda for the Wall and Anti-Immigrant Politics
- How in the world is Steve King still in Congress?
Republicans condemn Steve King have 317 words, post on www.economist.com at January 16, 2019. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.