More wild weather is forecast for Friday across the nation: an ongoing blizzard in the north-central U.S. and flooding rains in the Southeast. In the central U.S. on Thursday, the storm system that forced a cancellation of a college football game in Texas because of unrelenting lightning on Wednesday drove blizzard conditions through parts of the north-central U.S. and threatened travel chaos from Minnesota to Kansas and as far east as New England. Blizzard warnings remained in effect for parts of Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota and Minnesota as of late Thursday. Many areas braced for over a foot of snow. Sustained winds of 15-30 mph with gusts 35 to 50 mph were anticipated in parts of the region. “We’re seeing reports of whiteout conditions, very poor travel conditions,” AccuWeather meteorologist MIke Doll told USA TODAY. “Winds will remain gusty, so we will see blowing and drifting even after the flakes stop falling tonight.” Already, 18 inches of snow was reported in Finland, Minnesota, the highest total so far, according to the National Weather Service. Although the Weather Channel has named the storm Winter Storm Eboni, no other private weather group, or the federal government, uses that name. In Kansas, Gov. Jeff Colyer declared a state of emergency. Colyer urged… Read full this story
- At least 17 dead as winter storm blankets northeastern US in snow
- Storms sweep over Southeast with rain, wind, floods; 4 dead
- Mardi Gras blamed for coronavirus outbreak in Louisiana as New Orleans looks set to be next ‘epicenter’
- Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas Tornado, Flooding Maps Update: Deadly Storms Pummel Central States
- This Baton Rouge woman is lifting neighbors' spirts amid coronavirus -- one errand at a time
- Tiny Long Island town now has more infections per 1,000 people than NYC after local official demanded a travel ban and warned 'coronavirus refugees' not to use the community as a 'personal isolation unit'
- US now has the most coronavirus cases in the WORLD with 83,553 infections - more than China or Italy - as experts warn death toll could reach 80,000 even if with quarantines - but Trump blames testing for new figure
- NYC Mayor de Blasio says HALF of all New Yorkers will get coronavirus and warns people not to cling to Trump's 'false hope' of reopening by Easter, as doctors describe 'apocalyptic' surge in patients across overwhelmed hospitals
- What’s Killing the Babies of Vernal, Utah?
- Climate change: what are the worst impacts facing America?
Winter Storm Eboni drives blizzard warnings across Midwest; 1 woman killed in Louisiana have 399 words, post on www.clarionledger.com at December 26, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.