IMAGE: Barcelona’s Lionel Messi scores. Photograph: Albert Gea/Reuters Lionel Messi scored two spectacular free kicks as Barcelona thrashed local rivals Espanyol 4-0 in Saturday’s Catalan derby to move three points clear at the top of La Liga. The champions, who started the game level with Sevilla and Atletico Madrid on 28 points, swept to victory in Cornella as Messi put on a sublime show in the week he was ranked the fifth best player in the world at Monday’s Ballon d’Or awards.The Argentine whipped a free kick into the top right corner in the 17th minute before brilliantly setting up Ousmane Dembele to double Barcelona’s lead. Luis Suarez added the third just before halftime with a shot from a tight angle that deflected in off goalkeeper Diego Lopez. Messi completed the rout with another special free kick in the 65th minute and VAR ruled out a consolation from Oscar Duarte for offside at the other end. Espanyol’s fourth consecutive league defeat left them ninth in the standings, but they didn’t stand a chance with Messi in this mood. “We know what Leo is like, he doesn’t need to demonstrate anything to us, we don’t agree with the Ballon d’Or rankings,” Barca… Read full this story
- Is La Liga in Danger of Irrelevance?
- Spain’s La Liga hit with data protection penalty
- La Liga to introduce first female official for 2019-20 season
- Barcelona v Real Betis preview: La Liga prediction and team news
- Osasuna vs Barcelona preview: La Liga prediction and team news
- Barcelona without Messi in La Liga opener against Athletic
- Felix has new-look Atletico dreaming of La Liga glory again
- Barcelona, Atletico win, Real Madrid draw in La Liga matchday 2
- FUT19 La Liga Team of the Season revealed
- Barcelona confirm Suarez suffered leg injury in La Liga opener
La Liga: Messi shines as Barca thrash Espanyol in derby have 303 words, post on m.rediff.com at December 9, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.