Russia said it deployed its new frigate with long-range Kalibr cruise missiles to the Mediterranean Sea on Monday, a few months after Moscow had reinforced its naval forces off Syrian coast.
“The Black Sea Navy Fleet’s frigate Admiral Makarov left [Navy base] Sevastopol and laid a course for the Black Sea straits. The vessel will be acting in the standing naval force of the Russian fleet in the Mediterranean,” the Russian Defense Ministry said in statement.
Russia has in the past fired Kalibr cruise missiles from frigates and submarines stationed in the Mediterranean Sea at militant targets to support Syrian army offensives.
The ministry did not say whether the frigate was supposed to take part in the military operation in Syria where Moscow has backed President Bashar Assad since entering the war in 2015.
President Vladimir Putin said in May that Russian military vessels with Kalibr cruise missiles would be on permanent standby in the Mediterranean to counter what he said was the terrorist threat in Syria.
Russia deployed several warships to the Mediterranean this summer, including the Admiral Grigorovich, Admiral Essen and Pytlivy frigates, along with landing ship Nikolai Filchenkov and the Vishny Volochek missile corvette.
The Izvestia newspaper said in August that Russia had gathered its largest naval group in the Mediterranean Sea since 2015, including 10 vessels, most of them armed with long-range Kalibr cruise missiles. More vessels were on the way, the newspaper said, and two submarines had also been deployed.
- Russia’s newest Kalibr cruise missile-capable corvettes may be offered to China & India – govt
- Russian warships test fire powerful cruise missiles in intimidating display of strength from Putin’s Pacific fleet
- What is a Tomahawk missile, how much do the cruise missiles cost and how many does the UK have?
- What are Tomahawk cruise missiles, how much do they cost and how many does the UK have?
- BrahMos Supersonic Cruise Missiles to Feature Indian Quad Launchers
- What are storm shadow missiles, how does the cruise missile work and where did RAF Tornado jets use them in Syria air strikes?
- What are storm shadow missiles, how do the cruise missiles work and where have RAF Tornado jets used them in Syria?
- Putin shows off his fearsome new Sarmat hypersonic missile after Trump told him America will WIN arms race
- Russia Hunting Leaker of Hypersonic Missile Details to Western Agencies
- Russian jet makes aggressive move over French frigate in Eastern Mediterranean