The U.S. officially quit a mid-20th-century friendship treaty with Iran, with which Washington has feuded for decades over accusations that Tehran sponsors terrorism and pursues nuclear ambitions. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced on Wednesday the termination of the U.S. and Iran’s 1955 Treaty of Amity, Economic Relations, and Consular Rights following Iran’s use of the document as justification to take the U.S. to the United Nations’ International Court of Justice (ICJ) over sanctions imposed by the Trump administration. The court issued an interim ruling earlier in the day ordering Washington to lift some of the economic restrictions, prompting Pompeo to formally end the little-known, long-defunct diplomatic initiative in a move he called “39 years overdue.” “Iran is attempting to interfere with the sovereign rights of the United States to take the lawful actions necessary to protect our national security, and Iran is abusing the ICJ for political and propaganda purposes,” Pompeo told reporters. “Their case, as you can see from the decision, lacked merit,” he added, despite Iran claiming a legal victory at a time when international opinion on the matter was weighing in Tehran’s favor. The August 1955 treaty came about when Iran was under the rule of… Read full this story
- Donald Trump wants stop-and-frisk to be a nationwide policy. This is a horrible idea, even for him.
- Donald Trump just officially signed his cruel, anti-refugee executive order
- Did Donald Trump just accidentally express empathy for black people?
- Donald Trump just retweeted a neo-Nazi (again!)
- Meet Steve Bannon, the white nationalist who Donald Trump just made his senior adviser
- Donald Trump just openly threatened to throw Hillary Clinton in jail if he becomes president
- Donald Trump just suggested Barack Obama is a terrorist sympathizer because of course he did
- Donald Trump Just Can’t Get Off LaVar’s Balls
- Donald Trump Just Destroyed Relations with One of Our Closest Allies
- With 153 words, Donald Trump just destroyed the American promise
The U.S. and Iran were still friends on paper, but Donald Trump just put a stop to that have 320 words, post on www.newsweek.com at October 3, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.