According to the Algeria Press Service (APS) news agency, the personal envoy for the UN secretary-general, Horst Koehler, conveyed the relevant invitation to a Polisario delegation in New York on Friday. © AP Photo / Marty Lederhandler Germany to Shield 9/11 Plotter from CIA Amid Repatriation to Morocco – Report Koehler also reportedly informed the delegation about steps that the United Nations was planning to take to resume the political process. During the upcoming talks, the parties are expected to discuss a framework that will serve as a basis for future dialogue, the media outlet reported. Morocco claimed control of most of Western Sahara after the Spanish colonial administration of the territory ended in 1976. Fighting later broke out between Morocco and Polisario, ending in a ceasefire in September 1991. The UN Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara was deployed to the area the same year in an attempt to achieve lasting and mutually acceptable solution that would provide for self-determination of Western Saharan people. Polisario still cannot agree with Morocco on the status of Western Sahara, demanding a referendum on self-determination.
- UN: No Quick, Easy Solution to Western Sahara Conflict
- UK Refuses to Support Trump on Morocco’s Claim to Western Sahara as Polisario Front Vows to Fight On
- Trump: U.S. Should Recognize Moroccan Claims over Western Sahara After Israel Accord
- International Pressure Mounts for UN to ‘Fill its Unfulfilled Promise’ of Western Sahara Referendum
- GOP chairman calls Trump's Western Sahara deal 'shocking and deeply disappointing'
- Moscow Says US Recognition of Morocco's Sovereignty Over Western Sahara Violates Int'l Law
- Farmers’ protest: No headway yet, next meeting to be held on December 9
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - COVID-19 vaccine moves ahead. Congress? Not so much
- India awaits answers as it preps for next round of talks with China
- Israel, Morocco to normalize ties; US shifts W Sahara policy
UN-Mediated Talks on Western Sahara May Be Held in Geneva in December - Reports have 300 words, post on sputniknews.com at September 29, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.