GEORGE HEARD/STUFF Transport companies tackling fatigue are putting more emphasis on driver health. It’s every motorist’s worst nightmare – rounding a corner to find a fully laden 50 tonne truck and trailer unit hurtling straight at you with the driver asleep at the wheel. Fatigue is a major issue for the transport industry and one it is taking more seriously. Quite apart from human casualties, accidents are costly when vehicles are written off and precious cargo destroyed. As well as teaching drivers how to manage fatigue, transport companies are getting them tested and treated for obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), a condition which causes sufferers to take “micro sleeps” without warning. Many commercial drivers fit the risk profile of being over 50, overweight, and over tired from regularly working 13 hour days. Which is why transport companies are also fitting their vehicles with monitoring units that sound an alarm and vibrate the seat if drivers are distracted or close their eyes for too long. READ MORE:Union wants bus crash investigation to look at driver fatigue.Tramways Union lodges formal complaint over bus drivers’ hours of workBig jump in serious bus crashes: ‘It’s scary out there.’Truck drivers working 70 hours weeks the norm Christchurch… Read full this story
- Best Health - Fatigue and Lethargy Can Be a Symptom of a Slew of Ailments
- Sleep Apnea - Determining the Type of Sleeping Disorder Through Its Manifestations
- Could I Have a Sleep Disorder? Sleep Apnea
- Tired? - Get More Energy by Sleeping Less!
- The Symptoms of Insomnia - Lack of Sleep Can Ruin Your Life
- Why Am I So Tired All the Time Even When I Get Enough Sleep?
- Chronic Fatigue Remedy - Your Treatment May Begin by Helping You Improve Sleep
- Introduction to Sleep Disorders Part I
- Type 2 Diabetes - Wake Up to Sleep Apnea
- Sleep Apnea Treatments - Start Sleeping Better Right Now!
Sleeping killer - the transport industry gets a wake up call over fatigue have 305 words, post on www.stuff.co.nz at September 23, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.