One in three first-year university-level students report symptoms of a mental health disorder, according to a new international study. The study investigated the prevalence of psychological disorders – including major depression, mania, generalised anxiety disorder, panic disorder, alcohol use disorder and substance use disorder – among freshers in eight different industrialised countries. The findings, part of a World Health Organization initiative, are based on a series of web-based health surveys given to students within a few months of starting university-level education. 35% of the 13,984 students who completed the questionnaire reported having suffered from at least one of the disorders at some point during their life, while 31% reported having suffered from them over the 12-month period prior to taking the survey. Major depression was the most common disorder, followed by anxiety, and the median age of onset for the disorders was just 14.2 years of age. “The transition from high school or secondary school to college or university can be really challenging,” said Randy Auerbach, who studies depression and suicide at Columbia University and is the lead author on the paper, which questioned students in Australia, Belgium, Germany, Mexico, Northern Ireland, South Africa, Spain and the US. “The rates… Read full this story
- Study into genetic links to mental health disorders calls for Northern Ireland volunteers
- Consumers with mental health issues can pay premium for key services – charity
- Minister announces review of mental health legislation
- The young people who feel failed by mental health services in Wales
- Mental health sufferers pay up to £1,550 EXTRA each year for energy, broadband and household bills
- Internet Cliques Glamorise Kids' Mental Health Issues
- Mental health problems made worse due to Universal Credit ‘stressful and complex’ application process
- With Britain’s younger generation facing a mental health crisis, Fabulous investigates the shocking rise in child suicide rates
- Employers urged to support those living with mental health problems
- New mental health service offers a vital 'listening ear'
One in three freshers 'show symptoms of mental health disorder' have 307 words, post on www.theguardian.com at September 13, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.