Ryan Suppe and Marco della Cava USA TODAY Published 10:32 p.m. UTC Aug 16, 2018 SAN FRANCISCO — Hundreds of Google employees have signed a petition protesting a secret project to develop a search engine for China, the latest example of tech workers rebelling against corporate policies that push moral boundaries. The letter, which was posted by Buzzfeed and first reported by The New York Times, says Google’s decision to work with China raises “urgent moral and ethical issues,” and that employees ”do not have the information required to make ethically-informed decisions” about their work, projects and employment. The employees, who represent a fraction of parent company Alphabet’s workforce of 89,000, also were upset by the secrecy of the project and in the petition demanded more transparency about the company’s myriad ventures, which range from self-driving cars to advanced artificial intelligence. Google was scheduled to have a regular company-wide meeting between senior leadership and global employees late Thursday, during which in-person and remote staffers can ask any question they want. CEO Sundar Pichai as well as co-founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page have been known to lead the meetings. Google declined to comment on the petition. The new protest comes on the… Read full this story
- Google co-founders step away, making Sundar Pichai Alphabet's CEO
- Report: Eric Schmidt, Who Led Google to Dominance, Has Left Company
- Bitter lawmakers tell Google to justify Huawei link after A.I. military deal ends
- Health chiefs behind controversial new NHSX Covid-19 contact tracing app ask software developers if they can get it to work with Apple-Google system preferred by other countries in £3.8m 'U-turn'
- Google alters algorithm as Hollywood lobbyists win latest copyright battle
- Google done weaponizing A.I., will still work with military and governments
- Trump’s Deputies Extend Work Permits for 1,000s of Foreign Workers
- New NHSX Covid-19 contact tracing app doesn't work on two-year-old phones say Isle of Wight residents using it in trial
- Here’s what Google’s diversity and bias training looks like
- Remembering Frank Soo, English footballer with Chinese heritage
Google employees sign petition protesting work on secret Chinese search engine project have 332 words, post on eu.usatoday.com at August 16, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.