Sections SEARCH Skip to content Skip to site index Music Subscribe Log In Subscribe Log In Today’s Paper Advertisement Supported by ByJoshua Barone Aug. 12, 2018 MUNICH — “We tell the story of Moses because it is actually our story,” one teenager, a refugee from Afghanistan by way of Iran, said in the Hazaragi dialect to the German-speaking audience at the Bavarian State Opera here on a recent Sunday evening. Others chimed in: “The story of Moses is also my story,” they said in French, Kurdish, Greek and Arabic. They were the cast of “Moses,” a feel-good yet sobering new production by the Bavarian State Opera’s youth program, written for refugees, children of immigrants and born-and-raised Bavarians. In the opera, a mixture of new music by Benedikt Brachtel and adapted excerpts from Rossini’s “Mosè in Egitto,” the teenagers tell the story of Moses — common ground for followers of the Bible, Torah and Quran — with Brechtian interludes about refugee experiences and current events. The director Jessica Glause, who created the libretto based on interviews with refugees in the cast, has concocted a blend of humor, horror and youthful energy that hardly feels like a didactic documentary about Europe’s refugee… Read full this story
- Turkey and EU agree outline of 'one in, one out' deal over Syria refugee crisis
- Europe's Refugee Crisis a 'Legacy of Hypocrisy', Economists Tell Sputnik
- French PM Manuel Valls says refugee crisis is destabilising Europe
- UK must emulate Kindertransport to aid refugee crisis, says Lord Sacks
- Kindertransport: Britain's response to the growing refugee crisis in 1938
- The Tide of Syrian Refugees is Unraveling Europe
- Refugees welcome? How UK and Germany compare on migration
- ‘I didn’t think I might never see my parents again’ – refugee children share their stories
- How many refugees should the UK take in?
- Scotland increases pressure on David Cameron to admit refugee children
A German Opera Spotlights the Refugee Crisis, With Refugees have 303 words, post on www.nytimes.com at August 12, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.