World Pakistan Pakistan’s 106 million registered voters head to the polls today to choose the country’s next parliament and its next prime minister. If everything goes to plan, this will be only the second peaceful and democratic handover of power in the country’s 70-year history. This election campaign has been marred by violence, corruption and allegations of undue influence from the country’s powerful military. Security is tight as Pakistanis vote, and the day is already proving to be bloody. A bomb has exploded at a polling station in the western city of Quetta, killing at least 25 people, and there have been reports of shootings. Nonetheless, citizens are expected to descend on voting booths nationwide until their closure at 6 p.m. local time (9 a.m. ET). Results are expected Thursday morning. Cricket star-turned-politician Imran Khan speaks to members of the media after casting his vote at a polling station during the general election in Islamabad, July 25. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha Recommended Slideshows 76 The Most Powerful Military Forces in the World 59 The 25 Most Powerful Passports in the World 61 Every World Press Photo Winner Ever: 60 Images That Define Our World Imran Khan, the leader of the center-right Pakistan… Read full this story
- Pakistan opposition politician says he will lead thousands of protesters into capital's high-security 'Red Zone'
- Violence casts shadow over Pakistan's milestone election
- Ex-president Pervez Musharraf returns to Pakistan for elections after four-year exile despite death threats
- As tensions mount over Syria and North Korea, World War III again a U.S. fear
- The weight of the world: How Hillary Clinton’s chief asset — foreign policy — could also be her albatross in November
- President Obama meets privately with Nelson Mandela's family during trip to South Africa
- Video, Transcript: President Obama Says 'World at Crossroads' in Address to UN
- Clash between Pakistani security, protesters leaves 7 dead: cleric
- Goodbye Boris: London votes for new mayor
- STILE: A swipe from Christie’s ex-right hand
Meet Pakistan's Imran Khan: One of the World's Greatest Cricketers on the Verge of Winning Election have 312 words, post on www.newsweek.com at July 25, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.