Democratic Party leaders and progressive groups portray Judge Brett Kavanaugh as a threat to abortion rights, and they hope the fight over President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee will energize voters in California races that could decide who controls the House next year. Those races, however, are playing out in districts where support for abortion rights isn’t the given that it is in the bluest parts of California, such as the Bay Area. Democrats running in the more conservative House districts that the party is trying to seize from Republicans aren’t rushing to make abortion their issue. For the party’s base, the prospect that Kavanaugh could swing the Supreme Court away from Roe vs. Wade, the 1973 decision that legalized abortion, is a major cause for concern. The liberal hub MoveOn told its members in an email blast that with Kavanaugh, the court could “criminalize women and doctors in a radical rollback of women’s basic rights and equality.” But most of the Democrats running in nine GOP-held House districts that the party thinks are in play aren’t taking their cues from the left, even though they all support abortion rights. Three of them were silent about abortion rights on their Twitter… Read full this story
- How bad will the next few weeks be for California as coronavirus cases surge?
- Poizner back in politics, running for old job — this time he’s an independent
- States Are Using the Cover of COVID-19 to Restrict Abortion and Healthcare for Women
- California campaigns, activists craft political messages for pandemic times
- Record jobless claims but Dems, GOP divide over rescue bill
- Cameron to axe housing benefits for feckless under 25s as he declares war on welfare culture
- Tim and Eric on How to Make a Sitcom Even Cringier Than ‘Fuller House,’ But Funny
- Lauren Silverman nails casual chic in navy jumper and blue skinny jeans as she grabs a takeout meal in Malibu amid California's coronavirus lockdown
- California homeless advocate: 'We're moving way too slowly'
- Trying to stay sane in the outdoors amid Covid-19
California Dems trying to flip the House aren’t running on abortion rights have 335 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at July 16, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.