US defence officials unveiled Thursday a much-anticipated final request for tech firms to bid on a massive contract to provide the Pentagon with a comprehensive cloud computing service. Tech titans including Amazon and Microsoft have already spent months jockeying for a winning offer on the prestigious contract, which could be worth as much as $10 billion (roughly Rs. 68,500 crores) over a decade. The Joint Enterprise Defense Infrastructure, better known by its nerdy name JEDI Cloud Program, ultimately will see all military branches sharing information in one system that can be scoured in real time with the help of artificial intelligence. Currently, the Navy, Air Force and Army use separate clouds, so the benefits of immediately shared information, for instance by a pilot, could be huge. He or she might have instant access to data collected by troops on the ground, a drone or a ship at sea, speeding the flow of vital intelligence. Pentagon Chief Information Officer Dana Deasy said the Defense Department is appealing to outside firms because it needs help learning how to put in place a cloud of this scope. “Battlefield advantage is driven by who has access to the best information that can then be… Read full this story
- Cloud warriors led by Amazon, Microsoft battle for $300B in spoils
- Microsoft results boosted by cloud; PCs still a drag
- Oracle's Ellison declares war on Amazon in cloud
- Microsoft's LinkedIn buy escalates cloud wars
- Microsoft and city of Louisville in talks over software piracy dispute
- Amazon's Jeff Bezos was the world's richest man, for a while
- Six others wanted Whole Foods before Amazon swooped in
- Mark Wahlberg tells Jeff Bezos to bring Amazon to Michigan: 'I'll call him myself'
- Amazon shares rally 12% after profit returns
- Video claims to show sneak peek of Windows 9; Microsoft expected to announce new operating system Tuesday
Amazon, Microsoft Jostle as Pentagon Calls for Cloud Contract Bids have 302 words, post on gadgets.ndtv.com at July 27, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.