BARCELONA: France defender Samuel Umtiti (pix) has agreed to extend his contract with Barcelona for five more seasons, the club said on Sunday.
Umtiti, who is part of the French World Cup squad training at Clairefontaine, near Paris, will on Monday make a trip to the Camp Nou in Barcelona, where he will sign the contract at 10am (6pm Malaysia) and give a press conference 30 minutes later.
Umtiti arrived at Barca from Lyon in 2016 for €25 million (RM116 million) and rapidly cemented his place in the starting lineup. The Cameroon-born 24-year-old also has 18 France caps.
The €60 million (RM279 million) euro buyout clause in his old contract had begun to look low after Liverpool paid €84 million (RM391 million) for Virgil van Dijk in December and Manchester City paid 70m euros for Aymeric Laporte in January.
The size of the new buyout in Umtiti’s revised contract was not revealed on Sunday.
The agreement continues a wave of contract extensions at Barca following deals for Lionel Messi (until 2021), Sergi Roberto (2022) and goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen (2022). — AFP
- Barcelona extend Valverde contract until 2020
- Football: Barcelona extend Valverde contract until 2020
- Football: Italy defender Rugani extends Juventus contract until 2023
- 'I'm very excited and grateful for the opportunity': Elyse Knowles confirms she has EXTENDED her contract as the face of Myer... despite claims the department store 'wanted to drop her'
- Football: Casillas extends Porto contract, wants to retire at Portuguese club
- Pope extends Burnley contract until end of 2023
- Manchester United defender Jones extends deal to 2023
- World Cup-bound Hazard in no hurry to extend Chelsea contract
- Soccer: Mane extends Liverpool contract
- Uruguay's Bentancur extends Juventus contract until 2024