Vietnam has seen a radical change in lesbian, gay, bi-sexual and transgender (LGBT) rights over the last decade as the State has made significant steps to protect rights and equality. A photo on display at an exhibition as part of “Steps for LGBT” event held by iSEE in Hanoi on May 6. The photo shows people wearing wristbands of rainbow, a symbol of LGBT community. Just more than a decade ago, homosexuality wasn’t accepted widely. There was stigma and discrimination against LGBT people because of their sexual orientation or gender identity. Things have changed. Lawmakers slam anti-LGBT discrimination Public attention turned to homosexuality and the LGBT community in 2012 when Minister of Justice Ha Hung Cuong became the first senior Vietnamese government official to publicly call for the end of prejudice against homosexual people and mentioned the once-taboo subject of same-sex marriage. “Personally, I think that the recognition or non-recognition of same-sex marriage should be based on very basic studies, credible assessment of impacts on many social and legal aspects, such as personal freedom, compatibility with cultural practices of Vietnamese families and society, and sensitivity and social consequences of the regulations,” stated Cuong in an online public dialogue in July… Read full this story
- Uncertain future for LGBT+ rights in Uganda as controversial bill is passed
- Indian court calls for sweeping reforms to respect LGBT rights
- Pride: New UK special envoy on LGBT+ rights Lord Herbert admits worries of 'culture war' over trans rights
- Hungary’s new anti-transgender law is threatening to set hard-won LGBT rights back decades ǀ View
- Trans model and activist Munroe Bergdorf creates her own ‘qween’s speech’ about LGBT rights
- Laurence Fox being sued by LGBT rights activist after he branded him a 'paedophile'
- Feature: Malawi making strides in protecting children with albinism
- Vietnam’s cabinet makes decision on vaccine purchase
- Five years after the Pulse nightclub massacre the fight for LGBTQ+ rights continues
- LGBTQ rights and labor rights are intrinsically linked
Vietnam and LGBT rights: Making strides have 316 words, post on english.vietnamnet.vn at May 20, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.