Former Malaysian prime minister Mahathir Mohamad is expected to be sworn in today after his shock election victory spelled an end to the Barisan Nasional (BN) coalition’s 60-year-rule. Key points: Dr Mahathir’s opposition has won 113 seats to the ruling party’s 79 A simple majority of 112 seats is required to form government The 92-year-old was the country’s authoritarian ruler for 22 years “There is an urgency here, we need to form the Government now, today,” Dr Mahathir said. Malaysia’s king will grant Dr Mohamad an audience at 9:30pm (local time), Saifuddin Abdullah, a leader from Dr Mahathir’s alliance, said. The Election Commission said official results had the opposition so far winning 113 seats out of 222. The BN, or National Front, has so far won 79. Dr Mahathir’s stunning defeat of the ruling coalition means that at the age of 92, he will become the oldest elected leader in the world. Earlier, outgoing prime minister Najib Razak said in a televised media conference that he accepted the “choice of the people”. “I accept and my friends accept … it has been the choice of the people and the Barisan Nasional party is committed to respecting the principles of democracy,”… Read full this story
- Elizabeth Warren: The Rolling Stone Interview
- Live coverage: Schiff closes with speech highlighting claims of Trump's corruption
- Nancy Pelosi calls Donald Trump's six-page bitter personal attack on her 'really SICK' as Democrats secure a majority for impeachment vote tomorrow
- Jennifer Arcuri claims Boris Johnson told her he had five children, admits she had a 'special relationship' with the PM - but says when she tried to call him recently a man 'pretending to be Chinese' took the phone
- Prince Charles says it's a 'deep regret' he was 'deceived' by paedophile bishop as sex abuse inquiry brands their friendship 'misguided' and victims say he should have done more
- Julian Assange granted asylum by Ecuador - as it happened
- The Jews Are Going Extinct
- Police lockdown as Extinction Rebellion protester climbs Parliament walls and climate change group vows to target the Tube in new demos that will hit thousands of commuters
- If You're Drugged And Raped, The Police May Never Know. Here's Why.
- The Betrayal of the Kurds
Malaysia's Mahathir declares 'urgency' to be sworn in today amid raised doubts have 360 words, post on www.abc.net.au at May 9, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.