From numbers on shirts to goal-line technology, the football industry has never been slow to adapt to new ideas and technologies.More recently, Video Assistant Referees (VAR) have emerged, while fan apps bring playing content and commercial products to supporters off the field of play. Now the sport – if a little tentatively – is starting to dip its boots into the world of crypto-currency and its supporting blockchain technology.Earlier this year English Premier League club Arsenal became the first major football club to sign a deal to promote a crypto-currency. It reached an agreement with the gaming company CashBet to advertise its CashBet Coin – used for gambling – at Arsenal’s home league games.Crypto-currencies are a medium of financial exchange, a form of digital cash. There are reckoned to be about 1,500 of them in existence.Even Argentine star Lionel Messi has got involved in this new world, claiming in a promotional post on behalf of one company that he had been “digging deeper into blockchain and decentralised systems”.Lionel Messi scores trademark victoryBut despite such high-profile endorsement, football has yet to explore this new world fully, with most clubs, federations, and industry experts adopting a wait-and-see attitude.’Great opportunity’Blockchain, which underpins the… Read full this story
- Lionel Messi: Barcelona star’s father in PSG transfer talks with Neymar reunion possible
- Eight players Barcelona could let go to ease financial worries - including Lionel Messi
- Neymar new contract with PSG can pave way for blockbuster Lionel Messi transfer
- Barcelona star Lionel Messi close to four PSG players as Ligue 1 giants 'eye transfer'
- Gerard Pique running company making millions that even Lionel Messi has invested in
- Lionel Messi nets stunning free-kick as Argentina draw with Chile in Copa America
- Lionel Messi agrees staggering '€700m deal' with City Football Group as Barcelona exit nears
- Lionel Messi sent sly dig by Ivan Rakitic as he pushes for Man City move from Barcelona
- Neymar: PSG owners make transfer decision as Barcelona eye Lionel Messi reunion
- Barcelona star Lionel Messi ‘talking with Neymar every day’ as PSG plot huge transfer
Is Messi's blockchain interest a sign football is changing? have 337 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at May 4, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.