This week, we learned the future of the car is not owning one—at least not if Uber gets its way. The ride-hailing giant came out with twin announcements: On Monday, it said it would acquire the bike-share company Jump, in a deal worth $200 million. On Wednesday, it announced a move into car-sharing and public transit ticketing, too, inking deals with the startup Getaround and the British mobile payments company Masabi. The goal: Making it much, much easier to live car-free, and maybe take a few UberX rides along the way. Meanwhile, Airstream rolled out an adorable and very practical new trailer that is, perhaps, too small to share with too many honies, and the Silicon Valley–based lidar startup Luminar shared its newest tech with transportation editor Alex Davies. A lot of warm fuzzies this week—at least until Tesla and the National Transportation Safety Board went to war over the automaker’s latest, fatal Autopilot crash. Let’s get you caught up. Headlines Stories you might have missed from WIRED this week The National Transportation Safety Board has officially removed Tesla from its investigation into a fatal Autopilot crash, alleging the carmaker violated an agreement with the government panel by releasing data… Read full this story
- Why Doesn’t Every Electric Car Have Solar Panels?
- Former NASA engineer drops egg from space—and it survives
- Meat consumption should be slashed to the equivalent of two burgers a WEEK to avoid a climate crisis, study claims
- 'It was like my car was so precious': Man praises intellectually disabled staff for impeccable service at car wash
- Search scaled back for 19yo woman missing in outback Queensland for more than two weeks
- Living spaces in Toronto keep getting smaller. Here’s why that’s a big problem
- Asian shares rise, dollar sways as slowing rate hike looms
- Strictly's Helen Skelton taking it 'one week at a time' as she reflects on difficult year
- Decision on future of East-West Rail for new PM, says DfT
- Katie Price says 'I was on coke' in explosive voice recording shared by ex Carl Woods
This Week in the Future of Cars: Sharing Spaces have 341 words, post on www.wired.com at April 13, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.