KITTY HAWK, N.C.Gov. Roy Cooper slammed federal plans to explore offshore drilling while speaking Thursday to about 200 people at the annual Outer Banks Chamber of Commerce economic summit.“I’ll tell you this, not off our coast,” Cooper told the crowd cheering at the Hilton Garden Inn at Kitty Hawk.He cited billions of dollars invested along the state’s coast and thousands of jobs created by the tourism industry. An oil spill could ruin it, he said.“Why take the chance?”Continued federal actions on offshore drilling could spark a lawsuit, he said.Cooper spoke to the crowd largely made up of local officials and business owners for about 30 minutes. It was the first time a governor has spoken at the annual economic summit, said Karen Brown, president of the Outer Banks Chamber of Commerce.Cooper praised the Outer Banks. “This is a cherished gem in our state,” he told the crowd. “It puts North Carolina on the map for people across the globe.”Cooper grew up on a North Carolina farm where he learned about hard work, he said. His mother was a public school teacher. Those influences helped him develop a mission for the state’s population to be better educated, healthier and able to get… Read full this story
- Why a Democratic Candidate Opposing Offshore Drilling Is Getting Republican Support in Trump Country
- The Lingering Ghost of the North Carolina Republican Supermajority
- States weigh offshore drilling options
- Growing hoops program in North Carolina raising NCAA eyebrows over school's 'Quality'
- Shawne Williams, Marvin Williams fight, Knicks lose to Hawks, suffer hangover from LeBron, Heat
- Pal's chemotherapy fight with cancer puts it all in perspective
- Local craft brewers stick together to fight big beer buyouts
- South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford mum on future plans and sex scandal that derailed career
- A Simple Proposition: Pay Attention to Your Referendums
- Tribes emerge as key players in debate over sports betting
North Carolina governor tells Outer Banks crowd he will fight offshore drilling have 313 words, post on pilotonline.com at April 12, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.