LONDON: Pressure from Pakistan’s judiciary won’t influence the outcome of upcoming general elections this year, Pakistan’s Interior Minister Ahsan Iqbal said on Wednesday, adding he hoped the election would be free and fair.Earlier this month, Pakistan’s Supreme Court disqualified deposed prime minister Nawaz Sharif of the ruling Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) party from holding office for life amid an ongoing corruption trial.Sharif and his family have called the corruption proceedings a conspiracy and hinted at intervention by the military, but opponents have hailed them as a rare example of the rich and powerful being held accountable. The military denies any such intervention.”We hope elections will be fair and free as the country can’t afford any crisis as a result, but recently there are some concerns due to the judicial activism and how the national accountability bureau has been pursuing cases against only one party,” the minister told Reuters, speaking at Pakistan’s High Commission in London.He also highlighted complaints by media groups that they had not been allowed to broadcast.But he did not think such activities would affect the election’s outcome: “In the past we have seen attempts to influence the process but when millions of people vote it is very… Read full this story
- Convocation of sovereign national confab before the 2023 general elections (2)
- Jamal Khashoggi: How Pakistan 'ignored' journalist's murder to secure Saudi loan
- President tells prosecutor general to get on reform wagon
- At the Taiwan Election, China Has Entered the Global Meddling Game | Opinion
- Elections: PDP alleges manipulation of voter register
- Pakistan court annuls Pervez Musharaff's death sentence
- Qatari PSG boss Nasser Al-Khelaifi elected to UEFA Executive Committee with DFB support
- Exclusive: Pakistani PM Imran Khan says escalation of Iran conflict would be 'disastrous'
- 'Do you solemnly swear you will do impartial justice, according to the Constitution and laws, so help you God?' Chief Justice John Roberts and the 100 senators are sworn as jurors in to put Donald Trump on trial
- House Intel Committee releases Lev Parnas documents ahead of impeachment trial in Senate
Judiciary won't influence outcome of Pakistan's general election -interior minister have 340 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at April 19, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.