Documents never seen before by the public have revealed that at the outbreak of the First Gulf War in 1991, Israel was on the verge of bombing Saddam Hussein’s Iraq amid fears the Iraqi dictator might deploy chemical weapons. Israel’s Ministry of Defense released documents held until recently in their Israeli Defense Force (IDF) Archive which disclose the intentions of then-defense minister Moshe Arens and IDF chief of staff Dan Shomron to bomb Iraq following a series of missile attacks. Related: In Iraq, One Man’s Battle for Global Recognition of the Biggest Shawarma Ever Made During the Gulf War, the Iraq military fired nearly 40 Scud missiles at Israeli cities, killing two people directly. Eleven others are believed to have perished due to a heart attack or asphyxiation connected to the strikes, The Times of Israel reported. Israeli generals and politicians feared that Israel could be next, as had been the case when Hussein used chemical weapons against Iraqi Kurds in the 1980s. “The next missile could cause mass casualties, the next missile could be a chemical missile and the Americans aren’t succeeding in stopping it, so we have to,” Arens said in an interview contained in the documents. Shomron… Read full this story
- Is it time for Israel to reveal the truth about its chemical weapons?
- Germany's Cold War chemical weapons: Military planned to stockpile arsenal in 1960s
- Kim Jong-un urges Trump to reconsider scrapping weapons talks after Pentagon warns US is ‘ready to fight tonight’
- Iraq election: Coalition led by nationalist cleric takes shock lead as vote count continues
- Will North Korea Give Up Nuclear Weapons? Kim Jong Un Knows U.S. Invades Countries That Do
- At least 17 killed and 34 wounded as bomb in Afghan mosque targets election preparations
- Iran Tells U.S.: We Were Invited to Iraq and Syria, What About You?
- Manchester Arena bombing: Victims' families and survivors gather on first anniversary of worst UK atrocity since London attacks
- U.S. Manhattan Project national park to include exhibits noting inhumane nature of atomic weapons
- The secret nuclear weapons program of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards
Secret Israeli Documents Reveal Plan to Bomb Saddam's Iraq Over Chemical Weapons have 344 words, post on www.newsweek.com at January 19, 2018. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.