Facts matter, something the Trump administration would do well to remember the next time it’s thinking about weighing in on a decision. Especially one in which it has no say.With comments first by United Nations ambassador Nikki Haley and then White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders, the administration gave the impression that American athletes might skip the Pyeongchang Olympics because of tensions in North Korea.Nothing could be further from the truth.There is, first off, the small matter of this not even being the White House’s decision.The U.S. Olympic Committee is not a government organization – it doesn’t receive direct federal funding – and it will make the call on whether to send a team to Pyeongchang. Any other Olympics, for that matter, too.And yes, I know all about the U.S. boycott of the Moscow Games in 1980. President Jimmy Carter called for it after the Soviet Union’s invasion of Afghanistan, but it still was the USOC that had the final say.The USOC has been asked several times about safety concerns around the Pyeongchang Games, and it’s been unequivocal in saying the U.S. team is going. In September, having met with the State Department, local law enforcement, South Korean officials and… Read full this story
- NYT: Trump administration policy change limits penalties for bird deaths
- The Trump administration is hiding something
- The Trump Administration’s Latest Attack on the Rule of Law Is Actually Good
- Julian Assange Versus the Trump Administration
- How a Trump Administration Proposal Could Worsen Public Health
- Bipartisan former EPA chiefs say Trump administration has abandoned agency's mission
- Sarah Huckabee Sanders Says Trump Administration's 'Radical' Climate Change Report is 'Not Based on Facts'
- Trump Administration Investigates Ban on Christmas Decorations at HUD Complex
- The Memo: Trump faces uphill 2020 climb
- Trump administration stops probing most bird deaths: report
Memo to Trump administration: No question U.S. will compete at Olympics have 301 words, post on www.clarionledger.com at December 7, 2017. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.