By James Badcock Published 15 September 2017 Share close Share page Copy link About sharing Related Topics Catalonia independence protests The Spanish government is intent on defeating Catalonia’s plans to hold an independence referendum, but it wants to avoid heavy-handed methods. The 1 October ballot has been suspended by the constitutional court in Madrid while judges consider its legality. While ruling out the use of the military and imposing direct rule from Madrid over the autonomous region (possible under the constitution), Spain’s government is doing all it can behind the scenes to prevent the ballot boxes from being put out for Catalans to vote. It’s a game of cat and mouse. While the Civil Guard police force searches printworks for the ballot papers, the Catalan government has said it has 6,000 ballot boxes secretly stashed away – despite Spanish courts having banned the purchase of electoral equipment. Catalonia’s collision course with Madrid Court blocks independence referendum What could Barcelona attacks mean for Catalan independence? On Wednesday night a judge in Barcelona gave the police authorisation to shut down the Referendum.cat website, created by the government to encourage people to vote on 1 October. The response from Catalan leader Carles Puigdemont… Read full this story
- State Senator Ruben Diaz Sr. could stir up trouble between parties when all votes have been counted
- Vote for Ian Kennedy as potential heir to Greg Maddux's cerebral legacy
- Scientists discovered a new partial skeleton of pterosaur and promptly named it 'Butch'
- Letters to the Editor, Friday, Oct. 13, 2017
- Tuesday's Best Deals: Logitech, Toiletry Bags, Balance Ball Chairs, and More
- The Brexit dilemma: Will London's start-ups stay or go?
- The best movies of 1998
- Anti-doping experts say NFL's handling of Brian Cushing's positive test devalues drug-testing policy
- Your Weekly Horoscope
- Remembering the 1931 'Trunk Murderess' case
Spain plays cat and mouse as Catalan vote looms have 290 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at September 15, 2017. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.