JERSEY CITY: The Presidents Cup golf matches tee off in the shadow of the Statue of Liberty on Thursday (Friday in Manila) amid a backlash against US President Donald Trump’s criticism of social protests in sport. Zimbabwe’s Tony Johnstone, an assistant to International team captain Nick Price, said Monday that International players are focused on their bid for an upset victory, and don’t want to be drawn into any political fray. “It’s got absolutely bugger all to do with us. And I don’t think we’re in a position really to talk about it,” Johnstone said, adding that players drawn from countries around the globe had discussed it and agreed. “We’re here as sportsmen. We don’t want to get inveigled in any political discussion,” Johnstone, 61, said. “You’ve got to be careful … It’s an American thing. Americans will take care of it somehow whatever happens.” A wave of protests swept across the National Football League on Sunday after Trump escalated his feud with players who kneel during the US national anthem to draw attention to racial injustice. Trump’s decision not to receive the NBA champion Golden State Warriors at the White House — after jabs from star Stephen Curry and… Read full this story
- Julian Assange and Donald Trump: All the Times President Has Praised WikiLeaks Founder as U.S. Files Extradition Request
- Trump bulldozes across the presidency’s red lines
- Underdog team from Minnesota wins U.S. snow-sculpting title after Trump controversy
- An Open Letter to Rev. Jesse Jackson, Rev. Al Sharpton, and Congresswoman Maxine Waters Regarding Racist White Presidents
- China Loves News About Trump’s Controversies. Not This Time.
- Trump campaign did not coordinate with Russia in 2016 campaign, attorney general says
- Newt Gingrich: Trump's State of the Union Could Unite America—But the Media Won't Let Him
- House Democrats launch sprawling new probe of possible misdeeds by Trump
- How Robert Mueller Crushed the Republican Party’s ‘Dump Trump’ Crowd
- Few Republicans stand against Trump’s call for China to probe Bidens
Johnstone hopes Trump controversy won’t cloud Presidents Cup have 333 words, post on www.manilatimes.net at September 26, 2017. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.