Princess Diana’s tragic death in a Paris car crash on August 31, 1997 shocked the world. It would become one of the biggest news events of the 20th century – and the only time PEOPLE has ever featured a photo-only cover with no headline. Here is that cover story in its entirety. To her ex-husband, Prince Charles – as well as the rest of the world – the death of Diana, Princess of Wales, was an unimaginable shock. On Sept. 1, the day after Diana, 36, and her companion Dodi Al Fayed, 42, died in a cataclysmic car crash in Paris, the distraught Charles walked the hills surrounding Balmoral, the Queen‘s castle in Scotland. According to Britain’s Daily Mail, the prince, 48, who had consoled himself with stiff martinis and late-night calls to friends including his mistress, Camilla Parker Bowles, was spotted wandering alone at 6:30 a.m. under dour gray skies. “No one,” wrote the Mail’s Geoffrey Levy and Richard Kay, “has seen him racked with such a sense of frustration and confusion…. Over and over he asked himself how it could be that the fresh and uncomplicated girl he married when she was 20 should end her life in… Read full this story
- Emma Corrin of The Crown Was ‘Shocked’ With Princess Diana’s Dance for Prince Charles
- Nurse Administers COVID Vaccine to Cancer Doctor Who Saved Her Life 20 Years Ago
- Unseen letters penned by Princess Diana to family friend Roger Bramble from 1990 to 1997 are expected to fetch £30,000 at auction - and include mentions of the 'mundane activities associated with an impending divorce'
- Who is Earl Spencer? Princess Diana’s brother and Kitty’s father who attended the Royal Wedding
- Did The Crown do justice to Princess Diana and her work in the AIDS crisis?
- People are cashing in on The Crown by eerily flogging Princess Diana’s HAIR and her funeral order of service on eBay
- A sneak peek at controversial Princess Diana musical claims late icon was 'delighted to be freed' from the Royal Family as son Prince Harry is urged to get show cancelled
- 'You say it's shocking, but for me that's my everyday life!' Nicola McLean lauds The Crown's portrayal of Princess Diana's bulimia battle as she brands the disease 'gruelling and horrific'
- When was Princess Diana’s interview with Martin Bashir and why was it controversial?
- Winter wedding-land! Princess Diana's hedge fund analyst godson Prince Philippos of Greece marries billionaire's daughter in glitzy ski resort St Moritz
FROM THE ARCHIVES: The Shocking Death of Princess Diana, 20 Years Ago Today have 401 words, post on people.com at August 31, 2017. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.