by AFP Phnom Penh – Cambodia’s strongman premier Hun Sen has set July 29 as the date for a highly anticipated 2018 general election, according to a document seen by AFP Saturday. The poll will be a major test for the authoritarian premier, whose government has spent the past few years cracking down on an opposition movement trying to break his 32-year grip on power. “Sunday July 29, 2018 is set as the date of the election of members of parliament for the sixth mandate,’’ said the government statement signed by Hun Sen on July 28. The opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) made significant strides in local polls last month that were seen as a barometer for the upcoming general election, which will be Cambodia’s first since 2013. The gains came despite Hun Sen’s protracted efforts to sideline opposition politicians and activists, who have been targeted by a series of court cases. Some 27 political prisoners have been thrown in jail since 2013 with dozens of ongoing prosecutions against others, according to a tally by Amnesty International. On Friday Hun Sen’s government finalized a law that bans political parties from working with convicts – an apparent stab at the… Read full this story
- Why tactical voting is the talk of the UK's upcoming general election
- General election: 43 lies, gaffes and scandals that make Boris Johnson unfit to rule
- Brexit: What happens now as MPs poised to trigger general election vote tonight
- General election LIVE: Nigel Farage 'outmanoeuvred' by Boris Johnson over Brexit U-turn
- Pakistan: Will general elections be held on time?
- Spain's ruling Socialists are poised to win the country's second general election of the year but will be even further away from a majority than before, early results suggest
- General election will only happen before Christmas 'if necessary', Labour suggest
- General Election LIVE: Tories steams ahead in poll lead as PM attends Remembrance Sunday memorial service
- Why should I not vote Conservative? 29 nasty policies you shouldn't forget in the 2017 general election
- Susie Boniface: Boris Johnson's Russia links must be made public before the General Election
Cambodian PM sets date for 2018 general election have 333 words, post on news.mb.com.ph at July 30, 2017. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.