In the scorching afternoon sun of Vietnam’s tropical summer, Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper reporters met ‘Father Bo’ and ‘Mother Yen’ at the Center for the Fostering and Rehabilitation of Victims of Agent Orange in Duc Pho District, Quang Ngai Province in central Vietnam. The American couple, whose real names are Vohn Paul Bucher and Esther Bucher, have crossed the ocean on their final quest to bring love and hope to Vietnamese children born with defects caused by Agent Orange, a herbicide and defoliant chemical used by the U.S. military during the war in Vietnam. In addition to its damaging environmental effects, the dioxin-containing chemical has caused major health problems for millions of Vietnamese soldiers and civilians who were exposed to it, leaving lasting detriment on their children and grandchildren. The return Back in 1969, Vohn and Esther were among the vocal opponents of the American war in Vietnam, who would take part in almost all anti-war protests in Washington, D.C, at the time. It was in these protests that the love between the young couple grew, resulting in Vohn popping the question in 1970. Shortly after their marriage, Vohn and Esther decided to move to Vietnam, a country they… Read full this story
- What should parents tell their children about terrorism?
- Pediatricians Want Parents to Keep Children's Vaccination Appointments amid Coronavirus
- The Vietnam Day of People with Disabilities
- Will Migrant Children Be Reunited with Their Parents? An Immigration Attorney Explains
- IRS insists there are no problems with delivery of $1,200 stimulus checks as Americans claim they are being sent to the wrong accounts and claim banks are withholding payments if they are overdrawn
- What is attachment parenting and why is co-sleeping, breastfeeding and baby-wearing seen as important?
- Is rugby now too dangerous for children?
- Latest Coronavirus News in Vietnam & Southeast Asia April 25 (updated hourly)
- What's the secret of a successful marriage? I look to my parents for an answer
- American dedicates youth to caring for Vietnamese kids with disabilities
In love they trust: The American ‘parents’ of Agent Orange children in Vietnam have 324 words, post on english.vov.vn at June 7, 2017. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.