Frank Deford, the longtime Sports Illustrated writer, died on Sunday at age 78. From the August 8, 1983, issue of Sports Illustrated, here is his profile of Howard Cosell, who gave “Monday Night Football” its voice and was the most prominent sports broadcaster of his era. Find more classic Deford stories in the SI Vault.Quickness and momentum. You take the whole last generation of sports, listening to them, even reading about them, watching the games, analyzing them, arguing about them, instant-replaying them, second-guessing them, and all you’ll distill from them is quickness and momentum. Oh yes, the announcers also gave us a bit of mental toughness, the occasional 110%, the odd physical—as inevitably in very physical—but when all is said and done, and said again and again, and again, it was a time of quickness and momentum.Even now, so few comprehend. About Howard Cosell, that is. Cosell does. “I have won,” he says, as is his wont. As we know. In that jejune world up in the booth—high up in the booth—only one man possesses quickness and momentum. He is not the one with the golden locks or the golden tan but the old one, shaking, sallow and hunched, with… Read full this story
- 'After Like,' Ive's third straight hit after 'Eleven,' 'Love Dive'
- Ive's disco song After Like shows a new side to the group | Digital Trends
- Greg Ives to step down as crew chief for Alex Bowman at end of 2022
- In His Twilight, a Conductor Revisits Where His Career Dawned
- The best superspeedway drivers in 2022 - NASCAR Talk | NBC Sports
- iPhone 14 Rumors: Everything We Expect Before Apple's Sept. 7 Event
- Whistleblower: Bad news for Twitter, good news for Musk?
- Matt Chapman horse racing tips: I’ve unearthed a real hot fancy in a devilishly difficult race to decipher at Doncaster
- I’ve not spoken to Bruno since I replaced him on Strictly panel, says Anton Du Beke as he addresses ‘feud’ rumours
- Muhammad Ali Dies: Boxing Legend & Cultural Icon Was 74
Deford on Cosell: ’I’ve Won. I’ve Beat Them.’ have 329 words, post on www.foxsports.com at May 30, 2017. This is cached page on Vietnam Dance. If you want remove this page, please contact us.